If you have an RV or prefer the convenience of a countertop reverse osmosis system, you should consider getting a portable countertop RO system.
These systems can remove up to 99% of common water contaminants, require almost zero installation, and are user-friendly.
And compared to under sink RO systems, these units require minimal maintenance and require alteration of plumbing systems.
Portable countertop RO systems are a win-win, but now that there are so many in the market, how do you identify one that fits your home?
Check out our review of the best portable countertop reverse osmosis system. We’ve also included the pros and cons of owning each.
A Quick Comparison of our Top Picks
- Best 4-Stage Countertop RO System: APEC RO-CTOP-C Portable Countertop RO System: A compact 4-stage RO system that provides up to 90 GPD, gets rid of 99% contaminants, is compatible with most standard faucets, requires zero installation, comes with high-capacity filters, and is backed by a 1-year limited warranty.
- Best Budget Countertop RO System: Express Water EZRO5 Countertop RO System: An affordable RO system that offers superior filtration, features a built-in faucet, filters water in 4 stages, requires minimal maintenance, has long-lasting filters, and is supported by a 1-year limited warranty.
- Best 5-Stage Countertop RO System: Omnipure Universal 5-Stage DI 0PPM RO System: This 5-stage RO system is easy to install, removes most water contaminants, reduces lead by up to 90%, has a small footprint, fits most standard faucets, and is easy to use.
- Best Countertop RO System for RVs: Geekpure 4 Stage RO4-100G(TK) RO System: A compact RO system made from premium quality components, supplies 100 gallons per day, has a waste water ratio of 1:2, and comes with a 1-year manufacturer warranty.
- Best Countertop RO System for Hydroponics: Hydro-Logic miCRO-75-GPD RO System: This micro-sized RO system comes in a compact and sleek design, is easy to set up, comes with a KDF85/Carbon prefilter, is reasonably priced, and highly recommended for small jobs.
Choosing the Best Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis System
1. APEC RO-CTOP-C Portable Countertop RO System
APEC is one of the leading manufacturers of residential RO drinking water filtration systems in the US. The company has more than 20 years of experience and a loyal customer base.
They have an unbeatable reputation for delivering high-quality water filtration systems, and RO-CTOP-C is no exception.
Light and compact, this RO system is one of the best systems you’ll find out there. And while it’s not cheap, it’s a budget-friendly option.
You can use this portable system on most faucets except pull-out faucets, sprayer faucets, or special-size designer faucets.
Its portable nature makes it ideal for motor homes, apartments, condos, and for you that travel a lot. It requires zero installation and supplies you with up to 90 gallons a day of pure and tasty water.
APEC’s RO-CTOP-C features a 4-stage RO process that eliminates 99% contaminants from water.
Water flows via the 5-micron sediment filter that filters dust and debris before moving to stage 2. At stage 2, a coconut shell-activated carbon filter removes VOCs, chlorine, odors, and cloudiness.
At the 3rd stage, the TFC RO membrane gets rid of up to 99% TDS and contaminants such as lead, fluoride, arsenic, radium, chromium, and more.
The water then passes to the 4th stage (final stage), where another coconut shell activated carbon filter removes any residual tastes and leaves you with pure, great-tasting water.
Everything about this water filter is simple, including the lightweight filter system and the quick connect fittings. It requires no installation meaning no tools, and is easy to use.
The RO-CTOP-C is also backed by a 1-year limited warranty.
- High-performance 4-stage filtration system
- Best for RVs, dorm rooms, and apartments
- Requires no installation
- Long-lasting high-capacity filters
- Lightweight and compact
- Looks stylish on the countertop
- Compatible with most standard faucets
- Backed by a one-year limited warranty
- Doesn’t fit all faucets
- Low water flow rate
2. Express Water EZRO5 Countertop Reverse Osmosis System
Express Water makes it easy to install and use water filtration systems to handle your needs. Their systems, including the EZRO5, offer superior filtration to remove contaminants from your water.
The EZRO5 is probably the best affordable RO water filtration system on the market today. It features a built-in water faucet and offers you the benefits of 4-step filtration.
It is easy to install and will only take you about 4 minutes to complete the process. Once set up, the unit’s RO filters require very little maintenance.
Express Water’s EZRO5 fits most standard faucets and boasts quick-connect and replaceable filter cartridges that help keep your water fresh.
This 4-stage portable water filter system includes a sediment filter, granular carbon filter, RO membrane, and a post-activated carbon filter that removes 99.9% of most contaminants in your water.
Its long-lasting filters last for a year or more with minimal maintenance costs.
The RO system is independently tested and verified to reduce chlorine taste and odor, TDS, emerging compounds and impurities, and more.
Backed by a 1-year limited warranty, this water filtration system will most likely fit you if looking for a versatile and comprehensive RO system.
- Robust 4-stage water filtering system
- Unique water faucet design
- Compact-space saving design
- Provides clean, great-tasting water
- Offers the convenience of an auxiliary integrated faucet
- No remineralization
- A little difficult to install
3. Omnipure Universal 5-Stage DI 0PPM RO System
Made in the USA, this compact 5-stage reverse osmosis system is easy to install without the help of a plumber. It is an ideal portable solution for your home, RV, apartment, or during your travel time.
The Omnipure DI 0PPM water filtration system eliminates all major dangerous water contaminants, including bacteria, viruses, chlorine, chloramines, arsenic, asbestos, lead, and VOCs. It also significantly reduces lead by 85 to 90%.
The system purifies a gallon of water every 20 to 24 minutes, thus a little slow.
Water flows through a premium quick-connect sediment filter and removes all the dust and rust particles before moving to stage 2.
In the 2nd stage, the T28 coconut activated carbon filter removes volatile organic compounds and other common chemicals. It also removes chlorine, offensive odors, cloudiness, colors, and unpleasant tastes.
At the 3rd stage, a premium high rejection TFC type RO membrane removes 96 to 99% of TDS, arsenic, lead, chromium, fluoride, radium, bacteria, and viruses.
A deionizing mixed bed polishing filter in stage 4 helps produce high-quality water, while the premium coconut carbon T33 filter in the final stage helps remove lingering tastes and odors from your water.
- Long-lasting filters
- Fits most standard faucets
- Super easy to install
- Small footprint
- Simple to use
- Excellent customer service
- Short filtered water hose
- Lots of waste water
4. Geekpure 4 Stage RO4-100G(TK)
Geekpure is a leading manufacturer of water filtration systems and components. It has been in the water filtration and purification field since 1999.
The company makes quality RO systems, and RO4-100G (TK) is no exception.
Made with premium quality components, this system ensures high reliability and low maintenance. All tubes, storage tanks, tube fittings, and RO membranes are NSF certified to provide pure and healthy water.
The system uses advanced reverse osmosis technology that removes up to 98% of water contaminants, including lead, arsenic, fluoride, mercury, and heavy metals.
It boasts a capacity of 100 gallons per day with a pure and waste water ratio of 1:2. The unit also comes with color-coded tubes, high-quality, quick filters, and an installation manual for easy installation.
Geekpure’s RO4-100G (TK) tank has a capacity of 2.8 gallons and fits under most kitchen cabinets. It is suitable for RVs, mobile homes, yachts, or anywhere you require pure water quick connections.
- Reasonably priced
- Compact and space-saving
- Provides great-tasting water
- Premium filters and fittings
- Can be used on the counter or under the sink
- Backed by a 1-year manufacturer warranty
- Difficult to install
- Terrible instructions manual
5. Hydro-Logic micRO-75-GPD
Hydro-Logic Purification Systems Specializes in a variety of quality water purification products designed for hydroponics, gardening, residential and commercial applications.
They have the most efficient water purifiers, including the miCRO-75-GPD.
The micro-sized portable RO system is easy to set up right of the box and is highly recommended for small jobs. It’s also very lightweight (weighs 1 pound) and easy to carry around when on the go.
The micRO-75-GPD works best as an entry-level RO system and will suit you if space is very limited in a camper van or RV. It comes with a KDF85/carbon prefilter and a 75 GDP membrane.
It fills a 5-gallon bucket in about 1.5 hours.
- Easy to set up
- Quality build
- Best entry-level RO system for gardening
- Extremely compact and lightweight
- Compact and sleek design
- Reasonably priced
- Narrow range of uses
- Not suitable for home use as a countertop unit
Q. Is a portable countertop RO system perfect for camping?
Q. Is a reverse osmosis water filtration system worth it?
Q. Which contaminants do countertop reverse osmosis systems remove?
Always check the list of contaminants a system removes before purchasing it.
All RO systems in this list work excellent, but the RO-CTOP-C by APEC Water Systems outshines them all. It is not only easy to install but also highly efficient in filtration.
Its compact design makes it easy to use both at home and on the go.
Found the model that you’ve looking for already? Not yet? Go through the pros and cons of each model in the guide to get the best portable countertop reverse osmosis system for your home.