Looking for a simple solution to provide hot water fast to serve low-volume fixtures?
Then, nothing beats the best point of use electric water heater. It is a time-, space-, energy-, and water- savings option which is easy and fast to install.
This appliance is mainly installed at each fixture for a single application. But you can also use it in combination with the large heaters with high hot water demand to boost the heating. It cuts the long wait for hot water to arrive after you open the faucet.
There are numerous manufacturers and models on the market to choose from. This can make it somewhat challenging to identify which brand or model you should select.
That’s why we’ve prepared this point of use electric water heater review and buying guide to help you.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
What's in this Guide?
- A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
- Here are the Best Point of Use Electric Water Heaters in 2022
- 1. Stiebel Eltron 230628 DHC-E12 Single/Multi-Point-of-Use Tankless Electric Water Heater
- 2. EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 3. Rheem RTEX-13 Residential Tankless Water Heater
- 4. Bosch Electric ES8 Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater
- 5. American Standard CE-20-AS Point Of Use Electric Water Heater
- 6. ECOTOUCH Tankless Water Heater Electric, ECO90
- How to Choose the Right POU Electric Water Heater
A Quick Comparison of Our Favorites
Don’t miss to check the following chart to compare all our 6 recommended models.
- Best Single/Multi Point-of- Use Water Heater: Stiebel Eltron 230628 DHC-E12: A powerful water heating system that offers 12kW output, heats water instantly at 99% efficiency, works for both single and multiple low-flow fixtures, and has a front-located doorknob that enables you to control the temperature between 86 to 140 degrees F.
- Best Wall Mount Electric Water Heater: WatEcoSmart ECO 11: This 13kW water heater is 99.8% energy efficient, delivers 1.3 – 3.1 gallons of hot water per minute, boasts a temperature range of 80 to 140 degrees F, compact wall-mount design, and weighs 6.5 pounds.
- Best Single-Point-of-Use Water Heater: Rheem RTEX-13: This model uses a rugged copper and brass heat exchanger, 2 heating elements of 6.5kW each, is equipped with computer logic control and self-modulating power, thermostat control to help you set your desired temperature, and 5 years warranty.
- Best Mini-Tank Water Heater: Bosch Electric ES8 Tronic 3000 T: A 7-gallon capacity water heater blends with any décor, features 2-inch thick CFC-free foam insulation, has 98% thermal efficiency, offers 3 different applications, and is easy to hang on the wall or mount on the floor.
- Best Budget Water Heater: American Standard CE-20-AS: This unit boasts a 19-gallon tank, can fit under a cabinet or any confined area, is certified to 150 psi working pressure, allows variable temperature control to 160 degrees F, is lined with Dura Glass for excellent corrosion protection, and is UL listed.
- Best Energy Saving Water Heater: ECOTOUCH, ECO90: The model offers a good flow rate, is thermal efficient, heats 1 to 1.5 water gallons per minute from 67 degrees F to 106 degrees F, features a touch control panel and digital display, microcomputer control, and patented heating technology, and is easy to wall mount.
Here are the Best Point of Use Electric Water Heaters in 2022
While creating this shortlist, we’ve considered several vital factors. Some of these factors include type, temperature range, flow rate, and energy efficiency.
Our team of experts has spent hours reviewing and comparing these products to recommend you the best one.
We have provided in-depth reviews of each of these 6 selected models.
Any of these water heaters below are trustworthy, so you can rely on them to get the job done.
Take a look to see which one best meets your unique needs.
1. Stiebel Eltron 230628 DHC-E12 Single/Multi-Point-of-Use Tankless Electric Water Heater
Stiebel Eltron is the world leader in manufacturing energy-saving and advanced water heating systems. The company has an excellent track record of offering high-quality products that fulfill the highest expectations of performance and reliability.
The DHC-E12 POU tankless water heater is no different. It is a powerful and flexible water heating solution. This model offers 12kW output in a compact and affordable package.
It is designed for residential or commercial point-of-use sink applications. You can use it for a single kitchen sink at the end of a long pipe. It is also excellent for multiple low-flow fixtures in a commercial application.
It heats water instantly at 99% efficiency. As it is a tankless model, it has no stand-by energy losses.
The front-located dial knob allows you to control the temperature easily between 86 to 140-degree F. The advanced, sophisticated electronics of this model ensure 100% accuracy of the water temperature. You can set your desired temperature accurately at any time.
What stands out?
DHC-E12 ensures constant temperature output. Importantly, the self-modulating technology saves energy by adjusting electrical usage.
The water temperature doesn’t deviate from your set point even if there is fluctuation in the flow rate. Thanks to its advanced microprocessor technology that continually monitors info from the flow sensor and temperature sensors.
The simple plumbing system design of DHC-E12 makes the installation of this unit very simple and straightforward. There is no need for a mixing valve, drain, or T & P valve. As it is an electric model, so no venting is required which allows for more flexibility in the positioning of the units.
Additionally, the small footprint of this unit fits anywhere. The sleek, attractive housing design is perfect to left the unit visible in many applications.
Stiebel Eltron DHC-E12 inaugurates superior engineering in every way.
It features Seismic-proof construction that means it is not subject to seismic code. Unlike bulky electric tank-type water heater, this no-tank model requires no preventive construction. Plus, the system is completely silent during operation. In addition, its exclusive design prevents dry-firing.
Finally, it offers 3-year parts and 7-year leakage residential and commercial warranty against defects in materials and workmanship under normal uses.
- Reliable and superior performance
- Steady temperature output
- Easy to control temperature
- Simple to install and operate
- Seismic proof construction
- No scalding
- Compact and sleek design
- Space-saving footprint
- Reduced performance in cold climate
2. EcoSmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater
EcoSmart ECO 11 provides on-demand hot water consistently and endlessly. It is ideal to use for a small sink, bathroom, office breakroom, or other low-flow applications.
It delivers from 1.3 to 3.1 gallons of hot water per minute, depending on the inlet water temperature.
This 13 kW electric water heater is 99.8% energy efficient. It allows to reduce water and saves up to 60% on water heating cost. All thanks to its self-modulating technology that only uses the energy needed to heat water when you need it.
It has a temperature range of 80 to 140-degree F. You can set your desired temperature in increments of 1 degree by using digital temperature control. So, you can rest assure that the temperature is just right for your preferences and that it is not too cold, nor too hot.
ECO 11 is also perfect for colder climates as a POU for a sink or other low-flow applications.
The compact and wall-mounted design takes up less space and frees up floor space for more storage. The sleek design matches with any modern home.
What’s more, with 6.5 pounds of weight, this unit is quite lightweight to carry wherever you need to take it.
It required a minimum 125-amp electrical panel for installation. ½-inch compression fitting with the option of ½-inch NPT adapter is included for easy plumbing.
ECO 11 features stainless and copper components that make the unit efficient and durable. What’s more, EcoSmart stands behind this model by offering a lifetime warranty on electronics, exchangers, and elements.
So, this heater will be a lifelong investment for your home.
- Perfect to use in cold or warm climates
- Compact size fits any small space.
- Easy to control the temperature
- Efficient and energy-saving
- Well-engineered and durable
- Stylish and modern design
- Fairly easy installation
- UL-499, ETL Listed
- Noisy operation
- It may not perform well in the extreme northern United States.
3. Rheem RTEX-13 Residential Tankless Water Heater
Next, we have this excellent model from Rheem, one of the reputable and largest manufacturers of water heating products in North America.
Rheem RTEX-13 is an electric-powered water heater that heats water on-demand for residential uses. It delivers hot water in an endless and continuous supply for single point-of-use or multiple applications.
This is a well-engineered unit that uses a rugged copper and brass heat exchanger. It uses two heating elements of 6.5 kW each. The heating elements are copper immersion with brass top for enhanced durability.
The unit is equipped with self-modulating power control and computer logic control to meet the demand for hot water by sending the right power to the heating elements.
An external adjustable digital thermostat control allows you to set your desired temperature in +/- 1 degree for accuracy. What’s more, the LED temperature display ensures easy control and monitoring.
Finally, with 12.63 x 8.25 x 3.63 dimensions, the RTEX 13 is one of the smaller units available on the market. So if space savings is your priority, you should consider this model.
Rheem offers 5 years warranty on the heating chamber and one year on parts.
- 99.8% energy efficient
- Super small size for installation in any space
- Compact and stylish with digital temperature control
- Simple installation
- Threaded for easy replacement
- Generous warranty
- It is an indoor unit and cannot be installed outside.
4. Bosch Electric ES8 Tronic 3000 T Mini-Tank Water Heater
Bosch ES8 is a tank-type hot water system that comes with 7 gallons capacity for point of use. It can be installed for residential as well as commercial use.
This is a hard-wired model. It fits under your sink to provide hot water right where you need it. You can easily install it vertically with the cold and hot lines on top of the unit. Besides, you can hang it on the wall or mount it on a shelf or floor.
Its attractive and sleek design blends in seamlessly with any existing decor when installed in a visible location.
Tronic 3000 T features 2-inch thick CFC-free foam insulation that ensures maximum energy efficiency. It has 98% thermal efficiency meaning it helps reduces energy and water cost.
The glass-lined tank adds durability. Notably, the included temperature-pressure-relief valve enhances your safety while using the unit.
Bosch Electric ES8 offers three different uses or applications. Firstly, you can install it as a supplement to an existing larger water heater located far from the sink.
Secondly, it can be used as the sole water heating source for a single application. Thirdly, it acts as a buffer when installed in-line with a larger hot water source to eliminate the wait for hot water.
Finally, ES8 comes with two years of warranty on parts and six years warranty on the heater for residential and commercial uses.
- Long-lasting quality
- Simple and compact design
- Fast recovery time
- Versatile installation
- Convenient and reliable
- Easy to mount
- Easy to maintain
- Reasonably priced
- Small, short wires make installation somewhat challenging.
5. American Standard CE-20-AS Point Of Use Electric Water Heater
One of the most popular choices among consumers in the United States is the American Standard water heater. This brand is one of the oldest manufacturers in the USA and has a long track record of success in making high-quality water heating systems.
The CE-20-AS is one of the most popular POU electric water heaters on the market by this manufacturer.
It is an excellent choice for hot water requirements in the sinks that are far from the main heater. The side and top water connections make this model an affording choice of hot-out and cold-in connections.
The 19-gallon tank size makes the unit extremely versatile, and it’s compact enough to fit under a cabinet, counters, in any confined areas, or even on a shelf. It is certified to 150 psi working pressure.
The immersion heating element directly applies heat to water. What’s more, the fully adjustable thermostat allows variable temperature control up to 160-degree F. The tank features non-CFC energy-saving foam insulation that reduces energy cost by maximizing heat retention.
The heavy-gauge steel tank is lined with Dura Glass, which is fired at 1600-degree F to offer excellent corrosion protection. Plus, the tank is 100% hydrostatically tested at the factory.
The brass drain valve allows for easy draining to avoid clogging. Thus it reduces sediment deposits that extends the tank life.
CE-20-AS comes with six years limited warranty on tanks and parts for residential applications. For commercial applications, it offers a 3-year limited warranty on the tank and a 1-year warranty on parts.
- Easy to adjust temperature
- Excellent heat retention for reduced energy cost
- Fast recovery rate
- Easy to drain and maintain
- Heavy-duty, corrosion-resistant tank
- Very easy to install and setup
- UL listed
- Backed by a solid warranty
- Several buyers have complained that the unit arrives damaged due to inadequate packaging.
6. ECOTOUCH Tankless Water Heater Electric, ECO90
ECOTOUCH is a well-known brand in the appliance industry for manufacturing innovative, user-friendly, and energy-saving appliances. Their products have quality craftsmanship, attractive design, and reliable which offers a brand new lifestyle of being efficient, easy, and enthusiastic.
ECOTOUCH ECO90 Tankless electric water heater is no exception.
This model is a perfect solution for instant hot water in the dishwashers, bathroom and kitchen sinks, and washing machines. And you can use it for shower purposes in the Southern area of the United States.
ECO90 provides instant & endless hot water at any time you need. It delivers hot water at your desired temperature. The unit offers sufficient flow rate with an optimal thermal efficiency of 99.8% and minimum energy cost. It heats 1 to 1.5 gallons per minute of water from 67-degree F to 106-degree F.
It comes equipped with a touch control panel and digital display, so a temp setting is an easy job.
The smart modulating control ensures its stable temperature. It helps the unit to adjust the exact power input based on the temperature setting and flow rate in real-time. That means it’ll deliver stable temperature hot water instead of scalding hot when you reduce the flow rate. It provides optimal energy efficiency and sure cuts your electric bill.
This ungraded heating system features patented heating technology and micro-computer control. It avoids corrosion inside the pipes to extend the service lifespan of the unit.
Importantly, ECO90 goes through the strict test to ensure 100% safety. It features multiple safety protections, including sensitive leakage protection, over-temperature protection, and over-voltage protection. There are also overflow reminders and dry firing protection.
The electricity lines and inner water lines are designed to run separately to avoid leakage and harm of scale build-up.
The unit is space-saving and allows wall-mount installation for free-up space on the floor for storage. The slim and sleek design blends in any décor. It is easy to install in the storage room, kitchen and bathroom as no venting is required.
Conveniently, this model comes included with a standard pipe fitting of ½ inch NPT and 8AWG power cord.
- Designed for indoor use
- Solidly built
- Sleep appearance
- Instant heating at a stable temperature
- Optimal energy efficiency 99.8%
- Reliable and safe to use
- Multiple safety protections
- Approval by ETL and qualifies for UL
- Wall-mount design
- Installation accessories included
- The unit should be installed professionally.
How to Choose the Right POU Electric Water Heater
In the end, it’s all about getting the right model that matches your needs.
But, wondering which one from our short-list will be the right fit for you?
This buying guide will help you a lot to select the right one for you based on your needs and liking.
All you need to do is consider the following factors.
Tankless vs. tank-type
POU electric heaters are available in two configurations: tank and tankless. Before you spend your hard-earned money on a model, it’s important to understand all the different types of heaters out there.
POU water heater with tank is almost similar to the conventional heater. But they have a small storage tank than the traditional one. The tank capacity varies from 1.5 gallons to up to 20 gallons.
Before buying a POU tank-type model, you have to calculate the number and kind of your fixtures and then determine the tank capacity you’ll need.
POU tankless water heater heats water when there is a call for water. It delivers endless hot water, and they are rated 1.5 to 2.5 gallons per minute. It saves energy by only heating when water is needed. Conveniently, it is a space-saving option to install.
To ensure the long-lasting operation of your selected model, make sure it is built of high-quality materials.
Modern water heaters come with a durable housing made of stainless steel or other alloys to ensure the durability of the appliance. Furthermore, they also come equipped with premium-quality heating elements, which ensure the optimum performance of the unit. Some models include different linings that act as a coating against corrosion and rust.
Check your selected model is how easy to use. A model with touch control and a digital display is highly convenient. A digital display allows you to control and monitor the water temperature easily as you require.
Before purchasing a unit, make sure to check the warranty of the product. Each brand offers its unique warranty terms and policies. Some warranty just covers defects on delivery, while others will go much further. Don’t forget to check the manufacturer’s terms.
A good warranty will give you protection if something goes wrong. Plus, it gives you confidence that the company has faith in the build quality.
So, are you ready to add convenience and comfort to your home, help the environment and save money?
Then, why are you waiting for?
Pick the best point of use electric water heater from our comprehensive list.
Hopefully, any of these models might work like a charm for you.