The Massage guns are what you need if you want to recover like a pro after a workout. Massage guns are handheld, portable devices that provide vibration therapy or percussive massage. As well as improving blood flow, increasing mobility, and speeding recovery, they can relieve muscle tension and soreness. But you could end up causing more pain rather than relieving it as a beginner. We will discuss several simple steps on how to use a massage gun in this article.
Now, let’s clear that up first. It isn’t rocket science to use a massage gun. It’s quite easy. You might wonder why we will take the time to write such a simple article if it seems to be easy.
While it is easy to use a massage gun, common sense is required as well. The use of a massage gun may not be advised in certain cases, and there are also some tips to make sure you get the most from it.
We are here to help! Even if you know the basics about massage weapons, you may learn something about how to optimize your massage session or speed up post-workout recovery.
How to use a massage gun properly is the key to getting the most out of it.
How to Use a Massage Gun
- Set the massage gun to the on position without touching your body. This may seem a little thing, but better control relies on it. The massage gun can be jarring when it’s resting on a muscle and then turned on.
- Begin at the slowest speed possible. Beginning on high may be a bit painful until you are familiar with your tolerance level. In addition, remember that soreness can also be due to micro-tears in your muscles or increased inflammation. If you beat your muscles into submission, you may cause further damage. It is not always better to do more.
- You must place the gun over the bulk of your body in order to use it correctly. Apply moderate pressure but not excessive pressure. Spend two minutes sweeping one area or stay in one place for up to 15 seconds. You can even control how hard and how long you fire through an app connected to some guns.
- Once you reach a knot or a point of tension, let the massage gun rest there for a few moments without adding any more pressure.
- Try not to get too stressed out! You bought a massage gun for relief from tight muscles, not to make them worse. You won’t get the full benefit of the tool if you’re too tense and flexing your muscles. The only thing you need to do is to breathe in and out slowly as the massage gun moves across your muscles.
Humans make machines to make their lives easier. Nevertheless, some people make their lives miserable by misusing machines. There is a simple reason for this, they are new to it and don’t know how to use it.
This also applies to massage guns. Their effectiveness in relieving muscle tension and soreness is undeniable. If you are new to massage guns, you may cause yourself more pain.
Therefore, before using the massage gun, please read our guide on how to use it. There are simple steps you can follow to use it effectively without any problems.
Park, Seol. “Effect of local vibration on triceps surae flexibility compared to static stretching.” The Journal of Korean Physical Therapy 32.4 (2020): 245-249.
Martin, Jack. “A critical evaluation of percussion massage gun devices as a rehabilitation tool focusing on lower limb mobility: A literature review.” (2021).
Blennerhassett, Graeme. “Should I get a massage gun or, or a vibration massager.”
Gasibat, Qais, and Wurida Suwehli. “Determining the benefits of massage mechanisms: a review of literature.” Rehabilitation Sciences 3.2 (2017): 58-67.