A flat top grill is an attractive piece of equipment to do cooking. As there are people who love to cook and use it in their daily routine, so its thorough cleaning is also necessary. In this article, we will tell you a complete guide about how to clean a flat top grill.
As the seasoned food is directly thrown on the flat top hence the seasonings get to accumulate on the surface and need to be cleaned otherwise the cooked material will variate in taste.
In this article, we give you details about the thorough cleaning of the flat top grill also known as the griddle. The different material flat top grills will have different cleaning procedures.
Continue reading this article to know the cleaning procedure of all types of a griddle or flat top grill.
How to Clean a Flat Top Grill
Cleaning of a flat top grill:
The grills are normally coated with some material that gets washed with cleaning. This coating makes the food not stick on the grill surface. After every wash, the top of the grill has to be recoated to get the efficient result as promised by the manufacturers.
Material needed for cleaning:
Following are the things that you will need to have with you for the cleaning of the griddle.
- Griddle screen
- Vegetable oil
- Grill scrub pad.
- Grill scrapper.
- Stainless steel cleaning chemicals.
- Palmetto cleaning brush.
- Clean cloth
- Warm sterilized water.
Following are the cleaning procedures for the griddles of different materials.
- Stainless steel: Follow the following steps to clean the stainless steel griddle.
- Get the griddle hot and scrap the debris and the grease out from the surface.
- Pour boiling water on the flat surface. The food debris will blow out with that boiling water.
- Put the griddle screen and the pad on top of each other and place the combo of both in the griddle.
- Apply pressure on the griddle with the pad holder.
- Scour the surface after that.
- Rinse the flat surface with the water and then wipe the remaining water with a clean cloth.
- Chrome: For the cleaning of the griddle made up of chrome, follow the following steps.
- Get the griddle hot by turning the flame on.
- Scarp the food debris and the grease while the griddle is hot.
- Pour hot water on the surface to boil out the debris.
- Allow the surface to cool down to some extent.
- Cover the surface with some food-safe polish.
- Wipe all that with clean water and then with a clean cloth.
For recoating the material with the seasoning, follow the following procedure.
- Heat the griddle to 350 F. Once the temperature is achieved turn it off and allow it to cool for some time.
- When the temperature lowers to some degrees apply the vegetable oil or any other oil that has a high smoking point.
- After applying turn the flame on and take the temperature of the griddle to 350F again.
- Continue heating the griddle until the smoke appears from the griddle.
- Wipe it all with a clean cloth or a paper towel to remove the debris and burned oil.
Other cleaning agents:
These are some materials that can be used as an alternative to hot sterilized water.
- Lemon juice.
- Hot oil
- Soda water.
- Dish wash liquid.
- Vinegar and water mix.
How can I clean a burnt griddle?
For cleaning a burnt griddle follow the following steps.
- Heat the burnet griddle.
- Scrap the debris off as much as possible while keeping it hot.
- Pour the hot soapy liquid on the top of the griddle.
- Keep it there in the water for some time.
- Scrub the surface to remove the remaining attached burnt debris.
- Rinse with clean water and clean it with a neat cloth.
How long a grill should be heated before cooking?
The ideal time for preheating a grill is 15 minutes. This time best for maximum searing you want to have on your meat without getting it burned.
If you are cooking a dish that is to cook on low heat then the average time of preheating recommended is 10 minutes.
Can I use steel wool to clean my griddle?
It is strictly advised by the manufacturers of the griddles that don’t use any abrasive and hard material for the cleaning of the griddle. When we scrub the griddle with the abrasive material including steel wool it damages the upper layer of the griddle and it will not work as efficiently as promised by the manufacturers.
The food will start to stick on the flat surface and this will be disturbing for the one who loves to cook on the griddle.
Never use steel wool for cleaning griddle.
Which temperature is best for cleaning the griddle?
The temperate range from 350-355F is best for cleaning the griddle. This temperature allows the food debris that is soft to get burnt on the surface. So that brunt material will get wash off easily when scrubbed or treated with the hot cleaning agent.
At room temperature, you can clean the griddle also but with more effort. Room temperature cleaning will require the palmetto brush to remove the food debris.
Read about Kenmore grills here.
Let’s end the discussion here with a brief conclusion.
The cleaning of the griddle is different depending upon the type of material from which the flat top of the grill is made. We have enlisted the procedures of cleaning for some materials, follow them for efficient cleaning.
Giving the final words to the article, the cleaning of the griddle is easy to do. During cleaning just keep in view the maintenance of the quality of the griddle. Apply the cleaning agents only that are mentioned to use and don’t use the prohibited materials like the steel wool and the other similar to that. If used, this will decrease the efficiency of the cooking grill and will cause a change in the cooked meat also.
Follow the above-mentioned cleaning procedure for effective results.
Thank you for reading this article. If you like it let us know in the comment section below.
Your response will be appreciated
Hunt, Jenna Lea. Consumer Acceptance and Shear Force Values of Top Sirloin Steaks Prepared Using Sous Vide Versus Flat-Top Grill Cookery Methods. Diss. 2021.