Looking for the best dry cut metal saw for your next metal cutting project?
Fortunately, you have plenty of options to choose from.
But choosing the right one that will offer you the best value for your money is quite challenging.
That’s where this dry cut metal saw review can help you.
Below, you’ll find a list of 8 sought-after models from reliable and top brands. They are popular for fabulous precision and performance.
We’ll take an in-depth look at each model and point out the standout features each one has so that you can make the best choice.
Before you commit to purchasing one, take your time to read this article.
Our Top Picks
Here’s a quick chart showing the essential specs of the eight models reviewed in this guide. This will give you an easy way to compare them quickly.
- Best 14-inch Metal Cutting Saw: Dewalt DW872: This metal saw cuts a wide variety of materials, has a specially designed 66-teeth carbide blade that cut faster with fewer sparks, a 15-amp 4 HP motor that provides excellent overload capacity, features a flexible quick-fence system, an extra-wide base, quick lock-vise, vertical clamp, and 1-year warranty.
- Best Heavy-Duty Metal cutting Chop Saw: Evolution S355CPSL: This saw features a premium tungsten carbide-tipped blade that cuts smoothly, has a chip deflector, is highly robust, provides safe and fast clamping, is accurate, and backed by a 3-year industry-leading warranty.
- Best 12-inch Metal Cutting Saw: Makita LC1230: This unit is powered by a 15-amp motor, delivers 1700 rpm, has a 12-inch blade that cuts through various applications, a quick-release fence that adjusts 0-45 degrees for miter cutting, comes with a D-shaped handle with a 2-finger trigger for user comfort, and is reasonably priced.
- Best High-Performance Dry Cut Metal Cutting Saw: RIDGID 71687 614: A circular metal cutting saw with cool cutting technology and premium built quality, has a 14-inch 80 teeth carbide-tipped blade, powerful 15-amp 2HP direct-drive motor that delivers 1300 rpm, makes precise and clean cuts, and has a lifetime warranty.
- Best Metal Cutting Circular Saw: MK Morse CSM14MB: The model features a 72 teeth 14-inch carbide blade, cuts metal of different depths and thicknesses, a blade guard that prevents injuries, operates without excessive noise, comes with a high-torque motor with lower power for smooth and efficient cutting.
- Best Dry Metal Cutting Chop Saw: Evolution EVOSAW380: This metal cutting saw features a hi-torque gearbox,1850 rpm, no-load speed, doesn’t produce sparks or heat, is equipped with a 14-inch blade, massive vise, and fence,2 large rubber feet for stability, an elongated chip tray, and is backed by a 3-year limited warranty.
- Best Portable Metal Cutting Saw: CHEVRON NORTH AMERICA 3M SPT62MTC-22: This model boasts a 4.5-inch cutting capacity, can cut most shapes and sizes, is equipped with a cermet-tipped blade that cuts fast and spark-free, comes with a powerful 15 amp motor that delivers 1500 rpm no load speed, is compact, portable, and feel very stable.
- Best Budget-Friendly Metal Cutting Saw: Ironton 23501003 – I: A metal cutting saw that features a 14-inch carbide-tipped blade for accurate cutting, has a powerful 15 amp 3-3/8 max HP motor that delivers 1450 rpm no load speed, a guide plate that adjusts from 0 to 45 degrees, a heavy-duty base, and is loaded with safety features.
Here are the Best Dry Cut Metal Saws in 2022
A dry cutting metal saw is an excellent tool to cut angle iron, pipe, aluminum, and mild steel with minimal sparks, heat, or burrs. Amazingly, it uses a single blade and it gets the job done much faster than an abrasive saw. Moreover, single blade lasts longer than multiple abrasive discs.
We’ve explored the most popular models available on the market. Based on intensive research and expert reviews, we’ve forged this list of the best ones to help you decide.
Hopefully, this review below will save you countless hours of research and comparison as we’ve already done all of the hard work for you.
So, if your project demands one, find what these products have to offer you.
1. DEWALT DW872- Best 14-inch Metal Cutting Saw
The DeWalt DW872 is the most feature-rich 14-inch metal cutting saw on the market right now. The features and build quality put this model in a place where it’s worth it.
For cutting a wide variety of materials, including non-ferrous and ferrous metals, DW872 is unbeatable. It cuts everything- angle iron, threaded rod, struts, rebar, solid bar and black pipe. By utilizing a carbide-tipped blade, it cuts efficiently at a consistent depth throughout the blade life.
The 1300 rpm of its blade isn’t very impressive compared to the 3500+ rpm of any abrasive chop saw. But this slow speed puts DW872 in the elite category.
The specially designed 66- teeth carbide blade and slower motor speed deliver precise and virtually burr-free cuts. It allows you to cut with teeth rather than grind with abrasive wheels. Thus, it cuts faster with fewer sparks and keeps the blade and material cooler.
Notably, it cuts eight times faster than a band saw and four times faster than a chop saw in 2-inch x 2-inch x ¼-inch angle iron. The 15-amp 4 HP motor provides excellent overload capacity to enhance its performance and durability.
One of the best features of this model is its flexible quick-fence system. It slides forward and takes advantage of 45 and 90-degree detents. Thus, it takes the guesswork out of the most common cuts.
Conveniently, the tool-free miter adjustment provides additional speed and convenience. Moreover, the build quality in the fence area is very solid.
Additionally, the extra-wide base provides enhanced stability for cutting longer material. You can easily bolt down the base to any workbench, thanks to its four pre-drilled holes in the base.
You’ll appreciate its quick-lock vise. It makes clamping and adjustment quickest and smoothest on different size materials to increase productivity.
A bonus feature of this saw is its vertical clamp. It’s a useful feature to keep the materials in place during cutting.
Changing the blade isn’t a hassle at all with DW872. There are fewer steps to changing the blade than other saws of its class. Plus, the specially designed blade lock lets you operate with your small finger while holding the blade guard up.
Another great feature is its ergonomically designed horizontal handle. It puts user’s wrist in a more comfortable position. Thus it helps reduce user fatigue and increase productivity.
The DW872 is also easy to carry with a durable metal top handle. Plus, this unit includes a heavy-duty lock-down pin. So, you can lock the head of the saw for carrying it safely without using a chain.
- Designed for cutting heavy-duty metals
- Well-thought design
- Powerful and versatile
- Largest capacity in its class
- Fast and accurate angle cuts
- Lower cost-per-cut
- Ergonomically designed
- Comfortable to use
- 1-year full warranty
- Need to check the fence for squareness at the beginning of each project
2. Evolution S355CPSL – Heavy Duty 14 Inch Metal Cutting Chop Saw
The Evolution S355CPSL provides you all the power you expect from a metal cutting chop saw but with the portability you need. Thanks to its powerful 15-amp motor, optimized gearbox and blade system.
The premium tungsten carbide-tipped blade cuts your metals smoothly every time, providing a ready-to-weld finish. The cutting result is cool to touch and burr-free.
The 0 to 45-degree angle capability lets you make angle cuts effortless. Plus, the cast steel vise and fence with a quick-release mechanism make clamping fast, accurate and safe.
This model also includes a chip deflector to direct the chips away from the users. It also reduces cleaning time.
S355CPSL is heavy-duty, extremely robust, and durable. Notably, the 3-year industry-leading warranty ensures its long-lifespan too.
- Mild Steel Plate (Max Thickness): ¼-inch
- Stainless Steel Plate (Max Thickness): 13/64-inch
- Minimum Cut Off Piece Length: 5/16-inch
- Square Tube (Mild Steel) at 90-degree: 4-3/4 x 4-3/4 inch; at 45-degree: 3-1/2 x 3-1/2 inch
- Round Tube (Mild Steel) at 90-degree: 5-1/8 inch; at 45-degree: 4-1/8 inch
- Rectangle Tube (Mild Steel) at 90-degree: 3-3/4 x 7-1/8 inch; at 45-degree: 3-1/8 x 4-3/8 inch
- Powerful and reliable
- Accurate cutting
- Instant workable finish
- No heat, no burrs and minimal sparks when cutting steel
- Safer and fast clamping
- Lowest cost per cut compared to abrasive cutting
- No issues
3. Makita LC1230- Best 12-ich Metal Cutting Saw
Makita LC1230 comes equipped with power and several smart features to make metal cutting applications easy. Its above-average efficiency and level of durability with a wonderful set of specifications improves metal cutting performance.
Powered by a 15-amp motor, it delivers 1700 rpm no load speed which is perfect for the most demanding applications. The 12-inch blade can cut through various applications such as angle iron, light pipe, conduit, tubing, and channel.
Conveniently, the quick-release fence adjusts 0 to 45-degree for miter cutting.
Moreover, the carbide-tipped, 12-inch blade is economical and long-lasting. Reportedly, it lasts fifty times longer than any abrasive wheels. The cutting result is accurate, clean, and virtually burr-free.
LC1230 includes several features to increase the ease of use and safety. Firstly, the quick release vise ensures secure material retention and fast repeated cut-offs.
Secondly, it includes a shaft lock and a socket wrench for easy blade changes. Moreover, the included shaving collection tray makes waste disposal easy for a cleaner work environment. The lock-off button adds user convenience and prevents accidental start-ups.
The D-shaped handle with a two-finger trigger also increases user comfort. A large cast aluminum base makes it stable and sturdy to handle larger materials.
- Max. Cutting Capacity at 90-degree: 4-1/2-inch; at 45-degree: 3-1/2-inch
- Max. Cutting Capacity at 90-degree (aluminum): 4-1/2-inch
- Max. Cutting Capacity at 90-degree (mild steel): 4-1/2-inch
- Designed for the most demanding applications
- Quick and easy miter cutting
- Faster cutting performance
- Easy to grip handle
- Convenient and easy blade change
- Stable and durable
- Reasonable price tag
- The blade is somewhat short to handle larger materials.
4. RIDGID 71687 614 Dry Cut Circular Saw
Every tool of the Ridgid brand is engineered to the high standards of quality, endurance and strength. The RIDGID 71687 614 dry cut saw is no different.
It is one of the most efficient, high-performance pipe saws on the market. With cooling technology and premium built-quality, this is one of the best dry cut saws for metal on the market. The high-quality construction holds up very well for years of hard use.
The 14-inch 80 teeth carbide-tipped blade is super strong. It is perfect for cutting different materials and geometric configurations without using cutting fluid. You can cut Steel, Copper, Aluminum, Plastic, or Wood. The cutting result is clean, without any burr, abrasive dust, or heat.
It is well suited for all tough jobs. Powerful 15 amp 2HP direct-drive motor delivers 1300rpm. It slices through copper, plastic, steel, aluminum, and wood up to a 5-1/8-inch diameter.
Either straight or miter cut, RIDGID 614 delivers the largest cutting capacity in its class. It has a miter cut of 45-to 90- degrees. The cuts are precise and clean- without any burr, abrasive dust and heat build-up.
Notably, it has thread oil to keep the components cool throughout hours of use.
The speed and consistently clean cut save you time and make this model twice as fast as an abrasive saw. It features a heavy-duty, two-lever vice to clamp the work-piece securely for a precise and secure cut.
RIDGID 614 also comes equipped with a spindle lock and a dust collector to make it much easier to clean and maintain. The built-in two maintenance tools and lightweight design make it ideal for use in the shop.
RIDGID covers this model with a lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship and material.
If you have a little extra money to invest in a greater quality product, you should consider this model.
- Largest cutting capacity
- Long-lasting design
- Powerful to handle toughest jobs
- Precise and clean cut
- Approved to UL standards, and CSA
- ETL listed
- Full lifetime warranty
- Slightly more expensive than average
5. MK Morse CSM14MB (101172-MKM 050326101172)- Best Metal Cutting Circular Saw
MK Morse 101172 metal cutting circular saw offers a safer, cleaner way to cut a wide range of metals. Electricians, heating and air conditioning professionals, as well as residential handyman find this tool useful. It is a must for every metalworker and mechanical contractor.
72 teeth 14-inch carbide blade of this model is both powerful and versatile. It is exceptionally wear-resistant and able to make more cuts than most other blades.
The carbide blade is perfect for cutting machinable metal of different depths and thicknesses. It can cut steel plate, angle iron, I-beams, pipes, Channel iron, and other ferrous metal parts and shapes. Amazingly, it can cut 6- ¼ inches steel metal rods in 12 sec.
Another great feature is its blade guard with auto-retractable nature to prevent injuries. Plus, this tool comes included with protective eye goggles and earplugs, making it safer to use and cost-effective.
Notably, the enhanced blade alignment guides reduce waste from mis-cuts.
The best part of this unit is it operates without odor, excessive noise, or disturbing vibrations, making it ideal for long working hours. Additionally, its comfortable grips reduce user fatigue.
Moreover, it cuts dry, so you won’t be disturbed by a crowd of sparks while using it. The blade guard makes direct the sparks away, thus making cleaning is easy for you. This feature makes MK Morse 101172 popular among metalworkers, electricians, and plumbers.
A high-torque motor with low RPM powers MK Morse 101172. It can go at a maximum of 1300 RPM for cutting through metal smoothly and efficiently.
Conveniently, the onboard blade change wrench offers convenient storage and reduces the risk of loss of the components.
- Square Tube at 45-degree: – 3-1/2″x 3-1/2″; at 90° 4-3/4″x 4-3/4″
- Round at 45-degree 4-1/8″; at 90-degree: 5-1/8″
- Rectangle at 45-degree 3-1/8″x 4-3/8″; at 90-degree 3-3/4″x 7-1/4″
- Cut any metal of varying thickness.
- Easy to set up
- Fast cutting performance
- Minimal sparks, no smell, or heat build-up
- Low noise operation
- Easy to use and maintain
- Smooth operation
- CSA safety certified
- No quick clamp system inlcuded, so you have to be careful to ensure the material remains in place.
- Poor adjustment screw which may have an impact on the output
6. Evolution EVOSAW380-Best Dry Metal Cutting Chop Saw
When it comes to the cleanest, fastest, and most affordable way of cutting steel, the Evolution EVOSAW380 is a clear winner. It is designed for heavy-duty use in more challenging industrial and production settings. It is definitely an impressive multi-material cutting saw.
With 1850 rpm no load speed, and a hi-torque gearbox, it offers the highest grade strength for industrial metal cutting. You can cut square tubes, steel plate, tube, pipe, angle iron, and metal roofing. It slices through mild steel with ease. No sparks and heat are produced, and no coolant is required for steel cutting.
The EVOSAW380 comes equipped with a 14-inch blade, but it has a 15-inch mild steel cutting blade capacity. So, it can cut some massive pieces of metal than any other saws in this class.
You’ll also appreciate the separate blade designed of this model for stainless steel. Stainless steel dulls any standard dry cut blade quickly. So, it lets you swap out for the stainless steel blade when you need to cut that material.
Of course, the blade changing is also simple.
Its vise and fence are definitely the best in class. They are massive and made from cast iron. The fence is 3 inches tall. Moreover, the quick release and vise crank are easy to use.
The vise cranks hold the materials very firmly. The blade guard actuation is also very smooth, and the blade itself leaves a great finish cut.
EVOSAW380 comes with several built-in safety features. The trigger lock is easy to use. The chip shield easily and safely comes down with the blade.
The base features two very large rubber feet right up front for stability. You’ll also like the elongated chip tray that is designed to catch as many metal chips as possible.
Overall, Evolution EVOSAW380 is a fantastic beast of a dry metal cutting chop saw. If you need a really heavy-duty design with maximum capacity, this model is a solid choice.
To sum it up: at an affordable price, you’ll have the sturdiest saw in this class along with the highest cutting capacity, 15-inch blade and best vise/fence.
- Mild Steel Plate (Max Thickness): 1/2 -inch
- Square Tube (Mild Steel) at 45-degree: 3-1/2-inch; at 90-degree: 5- inch
- Rectangle Tube (Mild Steel) at 45-degree: 3 x 4-3/8-inch; at 90-degree: 3-3/4 x 7-7/8-inch
- Round Tube (Mild Steel) at 45-degree: 5-inch; at 90-degree: 5-7/8-inch
- Wood (Nominal Size) at 45-degree: 4 x 4-inch; at 90-degree: 4 x 8-inch
- Designed to handle the most demanding on-site jobs
- Larger cutting capacity
- Easy and safe to use
- Separate blade designed for stainless steel
- Easy to change the blade
- Portable design
- Evolution’s 3-year limited warranty
- Affordable price
- The base of the saw doesn’t sit level for correctly supporting a long piece of steel. However, this really isn’t a big deal when you’re working with small pieces.
7. CHERVON NORTH AMERICA 3M SPT62MTC-22 Dry Cut Saw
Next, we have this excellent model from CHERVON NORTH AMERICA- a very popular international power tool manufacturing company.
SPT62MTC-22 is a dry cut saw that has the largest capacity in its class. It offers versatility by cutting a wide range of materials. Cutting ferrous and non-ferrous metals is no more a problem with this multi-cutter. With its 4.5-inch cutting capacity, it can cut most shapes and sizes.
This model comes equipped with a cermet-tipped blade. This specially designed blade cuts faster than any abrasive chop saws. Plus, the cutting result is virtually burrs and spark-free. Importantly, it delivers 3X the life of a standard carbide-tipped blade.
The powerful 15-amp motor delivers 1500 rpm no load speed. It cuts faster and cleaner than any chop saw. Besides, the soft-start nature reduces stress for the motor to run smoother and last longer.
If you’re looking for a compact portable saw, then this is it. Thanks to its Die-cast aluminum guards that make the system lightweight and perfect for job site portability.
Finally, with its very wide base, the saw feels very stable.
- Very well built
- Impressive cutting capacity
- Precise and burr-free cuts
- User-Friendly design
- Runs smoother and longer for more cuts
- Easy to move from shop to site
- No complaint found
8. Ironton 23501003-I- Best Budget-friendly Dry Cut Metal Saw
Ironton 23501003-I is a feature-rich saw to make your metal cutting tanks easier, faster and safer.
The powerful 15-amp 3-3/8 max HP motor delivers 1450 rpm no-load speed. You can easily cut angle iron, cutting pipe and conduit.
The 14-inch carbide-tipped blade produces clean and accurate cutting without sparks- and heat build-up. Plus, it requires no messy coolant. When it comes to cutting capacity, it is capable of cutting 4-1/8 inch square and 4-3/4 inches round stock.
Conveniently, the quick-release vise keeps the stock secure for fast, repeated cutoffs. The guide plate adjusts from 0 to 45-degree angle for easy and quick miter cuts. Of course, the adjustment requires no tool.
Additionally, the cast aluminum heavy-duty base provides stability while cutting. It is also durable for long service life.
Ironton dry cut saw is loaded with several safety features. First of all, the thumb lock button keeps the system from starting unintentionally to prevent the accident. Secondly, there is a shield that protects your hand from debris while cutting.
Ironton 23501003-I also has a D-handle for a comfortable grip.
If you need to cut a lot of metal fast without super accuracy while not spending a lot of money, invest in Ironton 23501003-I. Overall, it is a decent product for the price.
- Plenty of power
- Comfortable and safe to use
- Cuts steel quickly
- Pretty clean cutting results
- Long-lasting blade
- Very affordable price
- Noisy operation, so you’ll need to wear ear plugs.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Dry Cut Metal Saw
There are several factors to consider when it comes to buying the right dry metal cutting saw.
Getting the right one is usually not that hard once you know what to look for.
- Motor Power and Speed
Motor power and speed is the first factor you need to look at. A model with consistent speeds only can ensure an accurate cut. It also helps to reduce sparks and burrs it creates.
- Blade Size
This product comes in various blade sizes from 12 to 15 inches in diameter. Most of the dry cutting saw includes a carbide-tipped blade with 24 to 80 teeth for cutting at variable depths and lengths.
Based on your project needs, you have to invest in the right size blade. For DIY projects or home use, a 12-inch blade is sufficient. But for professional uses, a 15-inch blade will be right to handle the most challenging materials.
Product dimensions and weight of these two parameters determine how portable and mobile your saw is as a whole. If you don’t need to move your saw, a large and heavy-weight model won’t be an excellent problem for you. However, if your project requires transporting it from site to site, go for a lightweight, compact unit.
- Accessories and Extra features
Depending on the accessories and extra features that the model comes with, the price also differs. For example, a saw with extras such as a gearbox, clamping system, chips collection tray, spark elimination feature, cooling feature, etc., might be pricier than a basic model. Consider your need and budget, then choose a model that best suits you.
There are many manufacturers of dry-cutting metal saws. So, it’s essential to understand which brands tend to stand out the most.
You’ll find Makita, Northern Tool Ironton, SKILSAW, RIDGID, FEIN, Makita, and more brands while you shop around for this tool.
Typically, a product from a renowned brand tends to offer the best value for your money; in this review, we’ve included all the best dry-cutting metal saw from popular brands.
This list is not conclusive. But these are the specific models that we’ve recommended to you after intensive research.
So, we can assure you that depending on your needs, any of these best dry cut metal saws may be able to guarantee your satisfaction.