Are you tired of ratcheting with corded or air ratchets?
Then, it is the time to consider battery-powered or electric ratchet.
This cordless variation performs just like your air-powered ratcheting tool but without the annoying cords. It is a portable and handy option to work in tight spaces.
But buying the best battery powered ratchet is a crucial task that needs extensive research of models and brands available in the market.
For this reason, we’ve shortlisted and reviewed the 7 most reliable models for a variety of projects that you can consider purchasing.
Take the time to read our battery powered ratchet reviews and buying guide– we’re sure you’ll be able to find the right one for your projects.
What's in this Guide?
- Our Top Picks
- Here are the Best Battery Powered Ratchets in 2021
- 1. Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 Cordless Ratchet
- 2. Makita RW01R1 12V max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless
- 3. ACDelco ARW1201 G12 Series Ratchet Wrench Tool Kit
- 4. Milwaukee 2456-20 M12 1/4 Ratchet (Tool Only)
- 5. Ingersoll Rand R1120-K1 Cordless Ratchet Kit
- 6. K I M O 3302 Cordless Electric Ratchet Wrench
- 7. AOBEN 5808 Cordless Electric Ratchet Wrench Set
Our Top Picks
This table would steadfastly help you in comparing our reviewed 7 models within short periods.
- Best Heavy Duty Cordless Ratchet: Milwaukee 2457-20 M12(tool only): This product has a powerful 12-volt motor that produces 250 rpm, delivers up to 35 ft. pounds of torque, has an onboard fuel LED gauge, is equipped with an intelligent chip, built-in LED flashlight on the front unit, has a low profile head design and is comfortable to hold.
- Best Versatile Ratchet: Makita RW01R1 12V max CXT: The ratchet features a powerful motor that delivers 35 ft. pounds of max torque, its variable speed reaches up to 800 rpm, is easy to handle in compact spaces, comes in an ergonomic design, it’s easy to hold, and has a 3-year limited warranty.
- Best Electric Ratchet: ACDelco ARW1201 G12 Series: The unit boasts powerful 57 ft. pound torque, offers variable load speed from 0 – 170 rpm, has a forward and reverse lever for easy change of ratcheting direction, has slim and low profile steel head, built-in LED light for convenience, soft and ergonomic grip and has a 1-year limited warranty.
- Best Ratchet for HVAC Applications: Milwaukee 2456-20 M12(tool only): This model is compatible with ¼ – inch drive, has a 12-volt motor that produces 250 rpm for up to 30 ft. pounds of torque, features built-in LED light, an onboard fuel gauge, is highly portable, and weighs only 1.55 pounds.
- Best Ratchet for Auto Mechanics: Ingersoll Rand R1120-K1: This unit is designed to work in the most challenging workspaces, has a powerful 12V motor that delivers up to 30 ft. pounds of torque, is ergonomically designed and built to last.
- Best High-Value Electric Ratchet: K I M O 3302: A ratchet that boasts a powerful motor that produces 400 rpm and up to 40 ft. pounds of torque, includes a forward-reverse switch that makes screwing and unscrewing easy, features an ultra-slim, sleek head design, has an ergonomic handle, and is user-friendly.
- Best Ergonomically Designed Ratchet: AOBEN 5808: This model comes in a complete set, has a 12V motor that delivers 40ft-lbs torque, produces super fastening speed, has an LED light on the front for illumination, ergonomically designed handle, and power button at the back of the head for safety.
Factors to Consider When Buying a Battery Powered Ratchet
These 7 models are the most popular electric ratchets available in the market today.
But remember not to get excited and rush into a purchase!
When you’re looking for the right and best cordless ratchet for your needs, it’s essential to have a very good idea of the purpose you’re buying it for.
If you do the research correctly, your new ratchet might be the best purchase you ever make for your mechanical projects.
Sit down, and before making a purchase, consider the following most important features.
It is an essential factor that determines the torque output and speed of the unit. Torque is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lbs), and speed is measured in retations per minute (rpm).
These variables determine how faster the ratchet will loosen or tighten bolts and fasteners. The average torque of an electric ratchet ranges from 25 to 50 ft-lbs, and speed ranges from 160 to 400rpm.
In general, the higher the motor power, the higher the torque and speed. For automotive work or tightening and loosening larger bolts and nuts, choose a model with more torque. On the other hand, if you’re working with smaller nuts and bolts, a model with lower torque will be okay.
However, a ratchet with variable speed helps you adjust the speed while doing delicate fastening tasks.
It refers to the size of the sockets compatible with the ratchet. The 3/8-inch is the most common socket size used for larger fasteners. It is useful for major automotive repairs for engine work or fastening spark plugs.
However, for smaller applications such as lawnmower, motorcycles, and some HVAC applications ¼-inch drive size is useful. These drives are less expensive than 3/8-inch drive.
It is also important to know the battery type and configuration used in your selected model. When it comes to battery, 12V batteries are commonly used. Consider choosing a Lithium-ion battery that is said to be durable.
It is wise to go for a model that comes included with a battery and charger. This would eliminate the hassle of purchasing a compatible battery and charger.
A model with two batteries means while one is charging, the other one is working on the backup.
Keep in mind that battery life depends on the average length of use and the power, torque, and speed of the ratchet. Higher output means draining the battery faster.
Ensure you go for a model with fast charging to save your time and energy costs on charging. Avoid those models that take a longer time to charge.
Built-quality of this tool ensures how long it’ll last. Check the gear drive construction. A steel drive gear is more durable than rubber or plastic ones. Also, check the housing of the unit. A reinforced steel or aluminum housing resist drops and falls to serve for a long time. Don’t forget the motor quality.
Size and Weight
Depending on how compact or bulky your ratchet is, you can determine what areas you can reach. A compact model is perfect for your use in tight spaces. However, the weight and size of a model typically correlate to its power output. A smaller unit tends to have less power.
If you need to work for long hours, go for a lightweight model. It’ll minimize the chances of you experiencing fatigue symptoms like hand cramps. A slim body ratchet with a narrow head allows you comfortably maneuver around and in tight areas.
Grip of the handle
As the size and weight, the grip of the handle is a crucial aspect to consider. An ergonomic grip absorbs the impact while you work, and thus it reduces hand fatigue.
A grip with cushioned support is excellent to hold. It allows you firmly grip the tool without having to squeeze down on hard metal or plastic. A handle with a non-slip cover helps you to control the unit safely while you work.
User-Friendliness and Safety Features
Check out the following feature for easier and safe use.
Low Profile Head Design
A ratchet with a low profile head will let you use the tool in a range of difficult situations. It’ll fit into similar spaces, and you can use the trigger to power the ratchet head.
It gives you the ability to quickly change the ratching direction without removing or adjusting the tool beforehand. This feature makes the unit easy to use in a tight location, such as inside a car engine.
Battery Charge Indicator
When using a battery-operated ratchet, it’s essential to ensure your tool has enough power to get the job done. A battery charge indicator lets you know how much charge you have remaining before you recharge it. So, you can properly plan for your project.
Built-in LED light
This feature allows you to see your task in the dark and tight working area. This is not only convenient but also cost-effective as it saves you possible extra costs on overhead work lights or floodlights.
It helps this power tool to stop automatically as soon as the trigger is released. Otherwise, there is a possibility of cracking or breaking the fasteners due to kinetic energy absorption.
This safety feature prevents you from unintentionally pressing the trigger and starting the tool.
Here are the Best Battery Powered Ratchets in 2021
While selecting these 7 top-rated models we’ve focused on different aspects including weight, size, power, battery life, ergonomics and safety features.
Hopefully, this review section will make your search for the best cordless ratchet an easier and more fun one.
Let’s go through.
1. Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 Cordless Ratchet
Milwaukee 2457-20 M12 is one of the most popular battery-powered 3/8″ ratchet available. It is a heavy-duty cordless ratching tool that offers best-in-class power, speed and durability.
This model is perfect for maintenance, auto mechanics and repair professionals looking for prime convenience, maximum performance and productivity.
Its powerful 12-volt motor produces 250 rpm that delivers up to 35 ft-pounds of torque. 1 Lithium-ion battery (sold separately) gives it the power to complete more tasks. Notably, it lets you complete more jobs per charge than the competitors. You never have to be worried about its battery life.
Conveniently, the onboard fuel LED gauge lets you monitor the battery charge precisely. The red light indicates the time to charge your battery.
This smart ratchet also comes equipped with an intelligent chip that communicates with the battery. It prevents the tool from receiving excess power. As a result, it prevents overheating and save the unit from damage.
Another nice aspect of M12 is its built-in LED flashlight on the front of the unit. This feature makes torquing in the dark corners or dimly lit conditions easy and risk-free.
What’s more, the low-profile head design makes M12 a perfect ratchet to work in hard to reach area without issue. The variable-speed metal trigger provides maximum control, allowing you to either adjust the speed or give it a fixed speed.
The reinforced steel housing with non-slip hand-grip provides maximum durability with any application.
Overall, it is a fantastic lightweight cordless ratchet that really works great.
- Designed to fit in complicated spaces
- Powerful and reliable
- Long-lasting performance
- Built to last
- Easy and convenient to use
- Well-balanced; comfortable to hold
- Smart design; overload protective
- Tool only; battery and charger not included
2. Makita RW01R1 12V max CXT Lithium-Ion Cordless
If you’re looking for a versatile ratchet wrench, then Makita RW01R1 can be the perfect choice for you. It features interchangeable two anvils for added versatility. So, you can use either ¼-inch or 3/8-inch square drive depending on your need.
Makita RW01R1 combines performance with superior ergonomics in a compact size.
Powerful motor delivers 35 ft-pounds of max torque. Its variable speed can reach up to 800 rpm for a wide range of fastening applications. Conveniently, you can use the ratchet manually when the motor is not engaged, just like a regular wrench.
The low-profile head provides improved handling in compact spaces. What’s more, ergonomic design reduces operator fatigue. Thanks to its slim and ergonomic handle that molds to your hand to prevent it from slipping.
This model is compatible with a 12V max CXT Lithium-ion 4.0 Ah battery to deliver the power to complete more tasks per charge.
Importantly, the protection circuit of the battery works against over-discharging, over-loading and over-heating.
- Powerful and fast
- Versatile and convenient to use
- Ideal to use in tight spaces
- Compact size and ergonomic design
- Feel well- balanced in the hand
- Battery, charger and two anvils included
- 3-year limited warranty on the tool, battery and charger
- The tool, along with the battery, feels and looks bulky.
3. ACDelco ARW1201 G12 Series Ratchet Wrench Tool Kit
ACDelco ARW1201 is one of the best electric ratchet wrenches in terms of design, power, durability, and portability. It’s a perfect wrench for auto, construction, and even home repair jobs.
ARW1201 is designed for fast and easy tighten or loosen a nut or screw efficiently. Thanks to its powerful 57 ft-pound torque. It offers variable no-load speed from 0 to 170 rpm for a wide range of fastening applications. Most importantly, the electric brake enables you to use the power safely.
Another outstanding feature is its forward and reverse lever. It lets you easily change the ratching direction while working with it.
The slim body and low profile, angled steel head allow you to work in an engine bay without any issue. Conveniently, the built-in LED light adds convenience to work in dark spaces.
The grip is soft and ergonomic that provides comfort for long working hours. The built-in convenient safety lock switch and the secure grip offers maximum control and steadiness.
Importantly, the thermal protection circuit prevents charging the battery from damage caused by extreme temperature conditions.
The construction of this tool is “bulletproof” – at this price point you can’t go wrong. The gearbox housing is made of aluminum, so it’s durable but not as heavy.
This model comes with a fast charger and two powerful interchangeable 12V Li-ion batteries. The included hard-shell carrying case protects the tool when not in use and makes carrying easy.
It’s worth noting that the G12 series is compatible with all products in the G12 cordless tool system.
- Superior fastening speed
- Provides sufficient torque for most applications
- Ergonomically designed
- Comfortable and safe to use
- Very well-built
- High-quality and useful
- 1-year limited warranty
- Batteries drain easily during heavy-duty tasks.
4. Milwaukee 2456-20 M12 1/4 Ratchet (Tool Only)
Milwaukee 2456-20 M12 is explicitly designed for jobs that require a smaller drive. This 1/4 cordless ratchet is both handy and reliable.
2456-20 M12 is compatible with a ¼-inch drive. So, it is perfect for lawnmowers, motorcycles, and HVAC applications.
Its 12-volt motor produces 250 rpm that provides up to 30 ft-lbs of torque for speedy ratching. The variable-speed trigger allows for optimum control.
Conveniently, there is a built-in LED light that Illuminates work surfaces in dark locations.
This cordless ratchet features an onboard fuel gauge to monitor battery charge for less downtime and increased productivity. It also provides overload protection with a well-interconnected communication system.
Portability is the greatest strength of Milwaukee 2456-20 M12. It weighs only 1.55 pounds. This lightweight design, along with the slim housing, makes the unit comfortable and portable. You can use it wherever and whenever you want.
Overall, it is a very good bargain for the money.
- Well-built and pretty strong
- Enough power for small nuts and bolts
- Perfect size for hard to reach spaces
- Smooth operation
- Easy to use
- Highly durable
- Compact and lightweight
- 5-year warranty
- Tool only; need to purchase battery and charger separately
5. Ingersoll Rand R1120-K1 Cordless Ratchet Kit
Ingersoll Rand R1120-K1 is a high performing ratchet wrench to complete your mechanical projects efficiently. It is perfect for carpenters, electricians, mechanics, and DIYers.
R1120-K1 is designed to work in the most challenging workspaces. Thanks to its paddle-style trigger and patent-pending slim-line battery.
Its 12V motor is powerful enough to handle any ratching task easily. It also has the ability to handle additional manual torquing when needed. It delivers up to 30 ft-lb of torque.
This model comes with the BL1203 12V battery. Conveniently, the unit features a fuel gauge button/battery life indicator.
It is designed to last with an all-metal gear train for wear and tear resistance. The housing also resists a wide variety of chemicals.
- Good quality and reliable
- Excellent power output
- Good amounts of torque
- Ergonomically designed
- Lithium-Ion battery and charger included
- Operation is a bit noisy.
- Battery life is not as good as it should be.
6. K I M O 3302 Cordless Electric Ratchet Wrench
K I M O 3302 is an excellent high-value electric ratchet, the perfect choice for you and your beloved car. This powerful ratchet is ideal for auto mechanics, maintenance and repair professionals looking for maximum performance and productivity.
Its 12V motor produces 400 rpm and up to 40 ft-lbs. of torque, giving you the power and speed of a pneumatic ratchet to quickly get your job done. The revolutionary all-copper motor ensures stable operations. It is much cooler, lighter and more efficient than an aluminum motor delivering ultimate performance.
Conveniently, it includes a forward-reverse switch to allow you to screw and unscrew within one device. The variable-speed metal trigger gives you the ultimate control of the tool.
Its ultra-slim, sleek head design allows it to get to the engine bay and other hard to reach spots easily and comfortably. The non-slip ergonomic handle makes ratching comfortable and safe. It also resists common chemicals in marine, automotive, and aviation arenas.
This user-friendly tool also has an onboard fuel gauge to display the remaining run time of the battery while running. There is also a convenient lock switch that is handy to avoid accidental triggering.
What’s more, the built-in LED light illuminates your target in low-light working environment, ensuring comfort and precise control.
K I M O 3302 comes included with a charger, two Rechargeable 20V KIMO lithium-ion batteries, a drive adapter, and a durable hard case.
To sum it up: You won’t be sorry for purchasing this 3/8″ cordless ratchet.
- Extremely powerful
- Outstanding performance
- Superior fastening speed
- Very lightweight even with the battery
- Perfect to use in low-light settings
- Compact head design to accommodate tight spaces
- Long-lasting battery and fast charging
- Ergonomic handle design
- Comfortable and safe to use
- Good build quality and long-lasting
- The lock switch is difficult to engage.
7. AOBEN 5808 Cordless Electric Ratchet Wrench Set
AOBEN 5808 ratchet wrench set will add a professional touch to your repair project. It offers you the best-in-class speed, power, and durability. It’ll make your ratching tasks effortless, easy, and exciting!
It is a complete set, so you don’t need to spend extra time looking for accessories, allowing for maximum flexibility and comfort.
The 12-Volt max motor delivers plenty of torque up to 40ft-lbs to help you remove or install nuts and bolts in a jiffy! It produces superior fastening speed to get the job done quickly. The variable-speed trigger offers excellent control.
Importantly, the motor is air-cooled with strong heat-sinking detection capability. This feature stabilizes the working temperature of the batteries to avoid overload. Also, thanks to its bi-directional heat output channel.
The LED light on the front of the tool illuminates the workplace for you in a low-light environment. Plus, the battery power indicator on the side of the housing lets you know how much charge you have left.
The ergonomically designed handle is non-slip and comfortable to hold. It offers a good grip so that you can work with it without the fear of the tool accidently slipping away from your hand.
For added safety, the power button is located on the back of the head to prevent accidental actuation when you are in the middle of work.
AOBEN 5808 includes one charger and eight bolts. It also comes with two long-lasting, rechargeable 12V li-ion batteries that are nice when you’re working on an all-day job.
Finally, this model includes a tool box to keep all the pieces of the gadget well-arranged at their respective designated places.
Overall, it is a decent tool for the money.
- Higher fastening speed
- Fine crafted and flexible
- variable-speed trigger for excellent control
- Lightweight, easy to operate
- Ergonomically designed
- Non-slip comfort
- Suitable for operation in the dark workspace
- Excellent battery life
- Several users complained that the torque is not enough to loosen tight fasteners.
Whether it is a simple fastening job or a complicated mechanism under the hood of your car, these 7 options would be definitely handy.
Hope our review has helped you to pick the best battery powered ratchet to meet your demanding ratching tasks, enhance productivity and performance.
Whether you are an automotive professional or weekend warrior, you can do your fastening task easily with any of these ratchets.
Thanks for reading!